More Cypriot Men Using Internet Than Women
More men than women use the Internet in Cyprus, said the Cyprus Statistical Service (CYSTAT) in its 2010 survey on information technology usage in individuals and households.
The seventh consecutive annual survey covered 1,522 households and 3,443 individuals 16 – 74 years old.
Key findings were:
- 51 percent of men use the Internet compared to 47.9 percent of women.
- The percentage of households with access to a computer remain stable at 61 percent in 2010.
- The percentage of households with access to a desktop computer decreased to 37 percent compared to 41.6 percent in 2009.
- The percentage of households with access to a laptop computer rose from 40.9 percent in 2009 to 48.3 percent in 2010.
- A computer is found in 88.3 percent of households with dependent children, while in households where there are no dependent children the percentage is only 46.8 percent.
- Internet access in households continues to rise. In the first quarter of 2010, the Internet was accessed at least once in 53.7 percent of households, compared to 52.8 percent in 2009.
- Over the last years there has been a steady increase in broadband connections and a simultaneous decrease in narrowband connections (Modem, ISDN). 91.2 percent of the households with Internet access have a broadband connection (DSL) in 2010.
- There are mainly two reasons for households not having an Internet connection. Firstly, lack of skills and secondly the view that the household do not need the Internet (67.8 percent and 48.7 percent of households without access to the Internet respectively), according to the survey.
- An increase was observed in the individuals that used the Internet during the first quarter of the year, from 47.9 percent in 2009 to 52.2 percent in 2010.
- Individuals 16 – 24 years old (88.4 percent) and students (96.2 percent) are the more frequent Internet users. This percentage decrease with age since only 6.9 percent of individuals 65 – 74 years old use the Internet.
- The most popular Internet activities are to go online to get information about goods or services, and send or receive e-mails (89.5 percent and 79.4 percent of Internet users respectively).
- 56.3 percent of Internet users are downloading games, images, films or music.
- Among individuals using the Internet, 47.7 percent are using instant messaging for communication with others and 43.5 percent are making telephone calls over the Internet.
- The most important reason for concerns related to Internet security is about children accessing inappropriate websites or connecting with potentially dangerous persons from a computer within the household (42.3 percent).